Pondering a Possibility...

Hi Jessica!

I learned about the Polyvagal Theory (Stephen Porges-1994; then clinical application by Deb Dana) about a year ago.  It basically describes how our vagus nerve is one of the key pieces to understand how we perceive the world, and a new way to understand why we behave the way we do.  It delves into the functions of our sympathetic nervous system (fight, flight, fawn) and the parasympathetic nervous system (the dorsal vagal branch: freeze, and also the newly-discovered ventral vagal branch:  social engagement).

I keep wondering what it may have to do with manifesting, and I suspect "a lot."  I have no evidence, but I'm just trying to figure out my own processes and my own bodily reactions.  I think that I'm really not getting anywhere with intentional manifesting because I'm coming from a place in the sympathetic nervous system (a more anxious place of "do, do do") ... but perhaps I should be coming from the ventral vagal part of the nervous system (a more relaxed place where perhaps I'd be more "naturally connected" to myself)?  In the Power of Awareness, Neville Goddard states that the one main reason that people do not succeed in manifesting, is because it has to be "Natural."  I've pondered this for quite a while now - a lot - perhaps that is where the ventral vagal branch of our nervous system comes into play?  

In other words... does my body need to be operating from the ventral vagal part of the nervous system, to be able to manifest intentionally and consistently?  Also, is there perhaps a "higher function" of the ventral vagal system than social engagement, from which manifesting happens?  

I also suspect that intentional thinking/imagining/NLP/EMDR/etc. is not working for me, because 80% of our sensory cues are afferent (from the body up to the brain), whereas only 20% of the signals are from the brain down to the body.  Therefore, things like Complex-PTSD would unconsciously be sabatoging my efforts, more than I suspect.  Perhaps the feeling state that I'm trying to generate is being overridden by "true" feeling states buried in my body.  I think the exercises you present are trying to address this... but somehow I need to consider a different approach, that combines all of it together.  ???

I'd love to know if you have any thoughts and/or insights into all of this.  It makes more sense why you and Sheila consistently point out that self-kindness is imperative, and to relax into the process.  Having the science behind it (via the Polyvagal Theory) seems to make it more concrete for me.  It seems like the intersection between Neville Goddard, and The Polyvagal Theory, may help me to understand what I'm actually doing!  :-) 

Warmly,
Heidi

Comments

• Wow Heidi, that's some really cool research. I'm not the person to actually answer any questions regarding this information, but you definitely have given me some questions to ask for myself. This topic interested me tremendously. I have study neuropsychology for a long time, but not at this deep of a level. Let's keep each other posted as we delve into it deeper. ❤️
  • Will do!  
    The topic makes me wish I was working in a science lab LOL!  :-)
  • Hi Heidi,

Very interesting! Like Shelia, I'm not an expert in this particular field. 

What I do know, in regards to your information about the sensory cues, is that your conscious brain can train your subconscious mind, and therefore your body, to do things differently. Our subconscious mind sends signals to our cells to tell them how to act. When we speak the language of the subconscious mind (visualization, meditation, etc.) and give it new instructions to give to the cells, massive change can take place.  And once that takes place, the signals you receive from the body will begin to line up with the conscious instructions. I know that many people find great relief with tools such as NLP because of this. However, I can understand that others may not in certain instances. 

If you are finding that Neville's material combined with the theory you have mentioned is working for you, then I would definitely go with that! :) I'll be interested to hear more about your understanding and your progress! :) 

-Jessica